Potential Buyer: Integration with AutoCAD MEP

rod_smithsr

Potential Buyer: Integration with AutoCAD MEP

Post by rod_smithsr »

Good day all;
I am working as a Sr. Drafter and currently using AutoCAD MEP as the primary application for our security system design. I understand that *.dwg files can be imported into VideoCAD and be exported from VideoCAD to AutoCAD as well, however I do NOT want to lose the functionality of the mv parts in ACMEP. How well does ACMEP and VideoCAD integrate? Will I lose all my functionality?

Rod

Support

Re: Potential Buyer: Integration with AutoCAD MEP

Post by Support »

I recommend the following order of integration with special CAD and BIM software.
1. Separate only the site plan in the main CAD software and export it as a dxf file.
2. Import this file as a background in VideoCAD and do all that you need in VideoCAD (place cameras, chose camera parameters, model 3D images etc.)
3. Save obtained VideoCAD drawing as a dxf file. For more convenience of processing *.dxf file in AutoCAD, the file is multi-layer. In the obtained *.dxf file there are the following layers:
Background;
Constructions;
Cameras;
Additional - grid, titles, horizontal line;
Frame - the print frame with the Title-Block (if it exists).
4. Then open the obtained dxf file in the main CAD software. Copy placed cameras with view area projections from this file to your main project.

If you have a 3D drawing, you can also import it in VideoCAD as a 3D model using Autodesk 3dsmax or Google SketchUp. But it can be not such simple.