Constructing and building

TH_cctv

Constructing and building

Post by TH_cctv »

I have two questions about constructing models. Can you import an already existing 3-D model into videoCAd? Once you construct something, is it possible to save it as a template to use at another time in another videoCAD file? Thanks. :)

Support

Re: Constructing and building

Post by Support »

Thank you for your questions.

>Can you import an already existing 3-D model into videoCAd?

You can import in VideoCAD any 3D models which can be opened by 3ds max software. 3ds max is needed for import procedure.
Here is a package with detailed instructions, 3ds max script and example.
http://www.cctvcad.com/Files/import_from_3dsmax.zip

Our russian customer place on his web site some 3D models for VideoCAD, created by this tool.
Sorry, the web page in Russian, but the models are language independent.
http://spyvideo.ru/3D/index.html

>Once you construct something, is it possible to save it as a template to use at another time in another videoCAD file?

Imported 3D models will be accessible in VideoCAD menu and can be used at any time in any projects.
But models, created in VideoCAD can't be used as templates. You can use created models in other projects by following procedure:
1. Open project with created model(s).
2. Copy model(s).
3. Open another project or create new one.
4. Paste model(s).
Pay attention to parameters of line types by which the models have been created.
Last edited by Support on 03 May 2010, 07:19, edited 1 time in total.

TH_cctv

Post by TH_cctv »

Thanks alot for the response!! So that means that I wouldnt be able to import a drawing from software like autoCAd correct?? Jut makeing sure. Thanks.

Support

Post by Support »

You need to have 3ds max to import 3D models. In 3ds max you can open AutoCAD (dxf, dwg) 3D file, then export it to VideoCAD as 3D model.
You can export whole 3D scene as one 3D model.

You can import AutoCAD (dxf, dwg) 2D files to VideoCAD directly, as a background for camera placing.

TH_cctv

Post by TH_cctv »

Once i construct something can I change its height? And can I make the models in the library raise up so they are not on the ground? If I can how? Thanks

Support

Post by Support »

You can place 3D models on any height.
In VideoCAD6 3D models can be scaled on any axes (x,y,z).
Please see Help system>Interface>Graphics window>'Construction' button group>3D model.

Or right click on the 3D model button on the Tool bar, then click on What's this? pop-up item.
By the same way you can get help on any other button.

zeeshan ahmed attari

Post by zeeshan ahmed attari »

TH_cctv wrote:Thanks alot for the response!! So that means that I wouldnt be able to import a drawing from software like autoCAd correct?? Jut makeing sure. Thanks.
I want to ask that i create all 3d of my project for example wall window table etc on Autocad or 3d max ,can i open this project on video cad and show to my clinte on video cad after camera placing.

Support

Post by Support »

VideoCAD can open directly only 2D AutoCAD files (*.dxf and *.dwg ) and use it as a background for camera placing. You needn't AutoCAD to open the 2D files in VideoCAD.
VideoCAD has own tools to read 2D AutoCAD files. But you can't edit AutoCAD files in VideoCAD.

VideoCAD CAN NOT open 3D files of AutoCAD or 3ds max directly. To import 3D files you need:
1. Open the 3D file in 3ds max. You need 3ds max!
2. Export the file from 3ds max to VideoCAD as 3D model file.
Please see export instruction for details http://www.cctvcad.com/Files/import_from_3dsmax.zip
zeeshan ahmed attari wrote: I want to ask that i create all 3d of my project for example wall window table etc on Autocad or 3d max ,can i open this project on video cad and show to my clinte on video cad after camera placing.
Yes, if you have exported 3D files from 3ds max to 3D model of VideoCAD, using this tool
http://www.cctvcad.com/Files/import_from_3dsmax.zip
VideoCAD can't open 3D files of 3ds max or AutoCAD directly.